Friday 25 June 1982

Mont Saint-Michel

Upon my return from Jersey, I overnighted in Dinan, then took a train followed by a bus to Mont Saint-Michel. I don't remember where the bus left from. It could have been Pontorson or Rennes.


It is a geological oddity, a rocky outcrop that becomes an island when the tides are high. (At that time there was a causeway, now it seems they have scoured the silt and built a bridge, turning it into a permanent island again.)

It is a UNESCO World Heritage site and a recognisable French landmark. This is a view from the ramparts.


Another view of the bay.


The interior of the abbey. The monastery dates back to the 8th century. The town is a snapshot of feudal society.


An interior grassy courtyard.


The steep and narrow streets of the town.

I took an overnight sleeper to Paris, to save time and accommodation cost. It's several hours by train to Paris so it would have taken a chunk of sightseeing time to travel by day. Of course I missed all the Normandy landscape in between.

Paris was already blogged in a previous post so I'll take up the story from when I left for Lyon.

No comments:

Post a Comment