Wednesday 23 June 1982

Jersey

Again, it was Gerald Durrell's fault. It was all because he set up Jersey Zoo that made me want to visit the island. The zoo houses many endangered species. Besides there was something fascinating about islands that are affiliated with England, yet closer to France, so close that Jersey was occupied by German troops during WWII. There are remnants of fortifications.


I made the decision to go there rather suddenly. While at St. Malo I noticed that I could take the hydrofoil right away instead of overnighting first. 90 minutes later I turned up at Jersey customs carrying the bananas I had bought at a supermarket in Rennes earlier that day. The officials conferred about what to do with me. In the end they issued me with a Jersey visa, which did not allow me to travel on to the UK, which I wasn't going to do. Maybe they thought I was trying to enter the UK by the back door.


I stayed in a B&B place in St. Helier which I remember nothing of, and took a bus out to Trinity where the zoo is situated.

I may not be accurate with these identifications but here goes: Cape Barren Goose.


Golden Lion Tamarin.


Flamingos and ducks.


My readership thinks this is a sarus crane.


Ruffed Lemurs, perhaps.


Black-necked swan. Thanks, avid reader.


Ring-tail Lemur, I think.

In one room an exhibit read: Lift cover to see a picture of the most dangerous predator on earth. Sure enough, there was a mirror behind the cover.

I signed up as a supporter and received their newsletters for years, until some year I lost track of them or they lost track of me.


I had some free time in St. Heliers before catching the ferry back to France. These players are advertising an upcoming musical. Beghins, the shop behind, is apparently still in operation on the Channel Islands.


This is the Central Market. The cast iron structure and ornamental fountain are quaint.


Finally this appears to be the bucolic hostel in the pretty little town of Dinan, where I overnighted after returning from Jersey and before visiting Mont Saint-Michel the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment