Saturday 5 June 1982

Florence

Of course, besides Rome, a visit to Florence for its art and architectural treasures is de rigueur. Here is the Ponte Vecchio across the Arno, the only bridge that is original. This picture was probably taken from the Uffizi.


Some of its treasures. I was quite observant in visiting all the famous museums on my first time. On later trips I was more selective.


This model of the solar system is probably from the Museo Galileo. How could I resist visiting a museum with artefacts from the beginnings of modern astronomy?


The Ponte Vecchio has shops selling handicraft and artisan products.


A (lunch?) break in a garden.


Another pretty specimen.


Pisa is a short journey away by rail. I remember walking through the town to reach Piazza dei Miracoli.


You saw this coming up. Everybody comes to see this. The tilt is due to soft ground on one side being unable to support the weight. Currently it is stable. The architects who added the upper floors made the pillars taller on one side in an attempt to compensate for the tilt. This means that the tower is actually slightly curved.

The story that Galileo dropped two balls of different weights to show that the acceleration due to gravity is independent of mass is probably apocryphal.


From Pisa I went to Siena, in a triangular itinerary. Recall that I had a railpass with unlimited travel. This is the Basilica of San Domenico. I don't think I had a special reason to visit it, it just happened to be convenient.


Closer view of stained glass window. Maybe the guide book had said that the windows were notable.


The exterior of the Basilica. I remember that it was a warm day.


Streets this old were still novelties to me at that time in my life.


Back in Florence again, and most likely early the next day, to beat the crowds, but still there were plenty of people. This is Michaelangelo's David of course, in the Galleria dell'Accademia.


This is the Palazzo Vecchio in the Piazza della Signoria. You can see the Fountain of Neptune at the left edge. A plaque marks the spot where Girolamo Savonarola was hanged and burnt. I thought it was Giordano Bruno, but that was in Rome.


I think this is the gardens of the Palazzo Pitti given that the next picture was taken from the south bank of the Arno (most of the sights are on the north side).


The Arno is fairly wide here. Ponte Vecchio is where it's narrowest. Floods do afflict Florence.


And finally the facade of the cathedral, colloquially called Il Duomo. Unfortunately you can't see the famed dome in this view.


The hostel I stayed at is a villa several km outside Florence, requiring a bus journey. Despite the dilapidated look, I remember it was quite comfy due to its bucolic setting. It was popular and filled up with backpackers quickly. I remember turning up early to secure a spot.


The garden was in scruffy Italian style. There were the last two shots in the roll to finish it off. The next day I left for Venice. New city, new film.

No comments:

Post a Comment