Tuesday 3 August 1982

Bergen

Bergen is the second largest city in Norway and my chance to see a bit of the west coast. The Montana hostel there has stunning views over the city from its location on Mount Ulriken.

I encountered a senior hosteller there who looked in his 60s or 70s but fit as a fiddle. He was the oldest person I'd seen in a hostel so far and it planted the idea in my mind that age need not be a barrier to backpacking.

In the evening I joined a group of hostellers to await the sunset over the harbour.

And this is what we eventually were privileged to see.

Only an afterglow left.

The next day I explored the harbour which dates from the 11th century.

Grieg was born in Bergen and his home Trouldhaugen is a museum. Unfortunately it's some ways out of Bergen, so I had to leave it for another year, perhaps.

This fountain is in a lake near Byparken.

No comments:

Post a Comment