Wednesday 16 June 1982

Avignon

I spent a night in Avignon. The youth hostel was a campground on the edge of town. The manager who checked me in was French Asian. My French lacked listening practice, something I remedied with SBS movies in years to come, so his question to me: Vous êtes seul? didn't click, so he switched to English: Are you by yourself?

Pont Saint-Bénézet, that half bridge, is emblematic of Avignon.

Another landmark of Avignon is the Palais des Papes. For nearly 70 years in the 14th century, Avignon was the seat of the papacy before it returned to Rome. I wasn't interested enough to tour the inside but satisfied myself with a look at the impressive façade.

Avignon also retains its old city gates, the Porte de la Republique.

Finally I enjoyed a bit of Avignon's nightlife. It is possible that I went out with some fellow hostellers for a meal before returning to the campground and calling it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment