Tuesday 29 June 1982

Lyon and Grenoble

I took the TGV down to Lyon, my first experience. I discovered that a high speed train ride is underwhelming because it's so comfortable and the only clue that you are travelling at high speed is the countryside whizzing past. I'm all for this kind of travel, stress-free compared to plane flights.

This the Place Bellecour, with no greenery.


A view of the Rhône. Lyon has many river crossings. This appears to have been taken from the Pont Lafayette. The nearest bridge appears to be the Gateway College Bridge and the one behind it the Pont Morand. Looks like I took a short walk from the Lyon Part-Dieu station and back.


From Lyon I went to Grenoble where I took a cable car to the fortress overlooking the city. This would be the Pont Marius-Gontard (page in French) over the Isère taken from the cable car.


A view of the Isère valley and what I took to be my first view of the Alps.

I have no recollection of overnighting in Lyon or Grenoble so I probably pressed on to Chamonix the same day.


No comments:

Post a Comment