Saturday 16 October 1982

A life changing trip

I took this picture of the boarding gate for the Concorde service at Heathrow, another thing that has passed into history.

Life changing is an overused term, but this trip merited it. It was my first experience travelling for that long and still the longest I have been on the road. I marvel at my youthful audacity for embarking on such a prolonged trip. I had seen wonderful sights and met so many kind people.
This is not the plane I boarded, it was a Thai Airways flight as I recall.

It's difficult to reimagine the person I was; this retrospective commentary cannot recapture the way I thought and felt then. But I haven't lost that sense of curiosity about the world and its people.

My horizons were expanded. I decided that I enjoyed travel and would do more. In the years to come I would appreciate the truth of this quote: The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.

No comments:

Post a Comment