Sunday 10 October 1982

London 4

Continuing my round up of the remaining sights in London, I paid a visit to Greenwich where there is an observatory and the prime meridian. (Trivia notes from the future: People like to jump back and forth across the meridian but more accurate measurements have located the 0° longitude somewhat to the east of the metal strip. So all the old maps of Britain are just that little bit off. The French refused to acknowledge GMT for many years, instead calling it Paris Time diminished by 9 minutes and 21 seconds. GMT has been replaced by UTC which is neither an English nor a French acronym, offending both nations equally.)

I guess I didn't find the observatory photogenic so instead I took a picture of Cutty Sark, the famous clipper.


The Tower of London. It's not a familiar view because I took it from across a busy road. I didn't visit; I'm not into gloomy fortresses.


Probably a bank of the Thames. The long shadows and joggers suggest an early morning visit.


The Tower Bridge of course.


I can't make out which Tube station this is. A friend thinks it's Bank. I probably just wanted a picture of a station so it doesn't matter. A Tube aficionado would probably identify it in a heartbeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment