Thursday 14 October 1982

London 5

I wish I remember how I felt in those last few days before the return flight. Was I wistful for home? Did I regret that my long vacation was coming to an end? I probably didn't worry about a job because I had been promised an interview with the same company that had given me the business contact who took me on a day trip to Lulworth Cove. All that is lost after 30+ years because I didn't keep a travel diary.

This is The Serpentine in Hyde Park.

The Orangery is in Kew Gardens. In 1875 Henry Wickham smuggled rubber tree seeds out of Brazil. They were germinated in Kew Gardens and sent to Britain's Asian colonies. Rubber contributed significantly to the development and wealth of Malaya. I reflected that I would not exist and be visiting the former colonial master country were it not for this history.

The most likely reason that I allocated a disproportionate amount of time to UK compared to continental Europe was simply one of familiarity with Anglo culture. I only had a smattering of other European languages at that time, and I knew more about British history than those of the other European nations.

A pleasant walk in the gardens with autumn around the corner.

Some feathered residents of the park.

A built up area for a change. I probably did have a wander inside Harrods but of course the prices would have been too high for me.

I think this might be Covent Garden Markets. It seems that it's changed a lot, making it problematic to match to current images.

Did I attend one last concert or play in the vicinity? Possibly.

No comments:

Post a Comment