Thursday 15 July 1982

Vienna

Austrla is quite extended east-west. It was 4 hours by train from Salzburg to Vienna. It would be the easternmost extent of my travels until I reached Finland later.

I think I met David, a native of Maine, at the pension where we were both hoping to stay. We agreed to share accommodation to save costs, and toured Vienna together. Of course Schönbrunn Palace was a must-visit.


We joined the tour and this is one of the elaborate rooms. They related the story or myth of a concert where the child Marie Antoinette helped the prodigy Mozart to his feet after he had tripped. Mozart is reputed to have said: Princess, when I grow up, I will marry you. Perhaps that would have been a better alternate universe for both of them.


We also took in other sights, such as the Kunsthistorisches Museum, which houses many famous classical paintings.


Another museum we visited was the Belvedere, which has some famous Klimt works. The grounds were extensive.
St. Stephen's Cathedral with its distinctive roof tile pattern. This landmark would become very recognisable to international TV audiences after 1994 due to Inspector Rex.


It is located in the central area of Vienna, Stephansplatz.

In the area is Trześniewski, a shop which makes small but delicious open-faced sandwiches. At 5 schillings each I had a few.

In the evening we ate at a keller where they served giant wiener schnitzels larger than the plate. It went well with the beer.


Possibly the same night, we went to the Prater (no pictures unfortunately), and looked at the Johann Strauss' statue in the Stadtpark.
On our last evening, we visited some a wine garden in the Grinzing district, with a view of vineyards and the Danube.


David had discovered that he could cross into nearby Czechoslovakia and visit Bratislava. At the time my passport wasn't valid for the other side of the Iron Curtain and also I had to stick to my itinerary to cover the ground I wanted on my railpass. We said exchanged addresses and said goodbye. He was to board his bus and I to take a train to Germany. This is the last photo in the roll, of the end of some public entertainment near an underpass. The banner says: Culture Without Barriers.

No comments:

Post a Comment