Thursday 8 July 1982

Geneva

From Lake Thun I headed west in my zigzag journey through Switzerland. To my mind, Geneva was and is associated with international organisations, Swiss banking and in general, high cost of living.

Incidentally, on the lakeshore promenade, a plague marks the spot where Empress Sisi, who we read about back in Corfu, was assassinated by a knife-wielding Italian anarchist.


Geneva has a pleasant location by the eponymous lake. The Jet d'Eau is emblematic of the city.

I stayed at the youth hostel, which was very convenient to the centre, just a short walk. I noted that the kitchen rules stipulated that you could only use the provided pots with the electric stoves. It was for good thermal coupling and efficient use of electricity. Very organised people, the Swiss.


Folks relaxing on the lake shore at sunset.


The golden hour.


Some senior and junior residents on the lake.

No comments:

Post a Comment